Tuesday 26 November 2013

What do you consider as being "Grown Up"?

Bit of a different post today and, don't worry, I will get back to doing reviews (I've already got an Origins one lined up so watch this space!). This is more of a life/growing up post. I'm at the stage in my life now where I'm in my final year of uni and need to think about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life (as dramatic as that sounds!). I have no idea what job I want to do or where I want to live etc and it's sort of scary.
Lately all I can think about is "settling down", now I don't mean that in a marriage and kids kind of way, I just mean that lately I've been desperate to make a permanent home for myself. The last 18 months, what with living in student accommodation and my Mum moving house several times, I've lived in 4 different houses and I just want a stable place to get settled in. The typical things I think of on, near enough, a daily basis is "I want a cute little cosy house filled with 'Emma things' and I want a puppy"; sounding like a 6 year old at the end there Emma...
But there's even been the most random thoughts in my head, for example, I was in Asda with my Mum earlier and I looked at a coffee machine and my head went "aww I can't wait to have my own kitchen so I can put a coffee machine in it". I'm not even much of a coffee drinker but clearly my head thinks my older self will be. Honestly I could probably buy one now for my student house but it just doesn't feel the same. It's like some switch in my head has decided I need to start thinking about being an adult (which at 20 years old I guess I am anyway) even if I still feel like the most childish individual.

I think what I'm really trying to say is that I feel like I'm on the brink of being thrown into the "real world" and whatever I'm perceiving as being "things adults have and do" are things I'm craving. Apparently to me having a puppy and a coffee machine means I'm an adult! For example one of my uni friends who, had always despised coffee, had just started buying it on her way into uni and for lectures. I asked her why and she said "well I don't know, it's just feels like something I should be doing, all the lecturers turn up with coffee".

So it just made me wonder, what do you guys consider "grown up"? Is it drinking coffee or wine? Investing in a million cushions to smother your future sofa in? I'd love to know your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment